In light of the global COVID-19 developments, we are monitoring the situation and adapting our practices accordingly. We are dedicated to prioritizing the health and safety of our artists, visitor and staff.
Prior to applying please update
yourself on Swedish national Covid policies, and how they relate to
policies of the country you are in. For info on PCR testing contact your embassy in Stockholm.
. . .
Calls are always posted on ResArtis.org and sometimes elsewhere.
AiR BKN is fully booked until May 2021. Short deadline calls might appear due to Covid travelbans
Become a member of the not for profit organisation >>>
The main objective of BKN is to provide an opportunity to, within the stay, focus on, the aristic practice and experience life in the Northern Archipelago of Stockholm - where the sea meets the forest, fields, and lakes.
We currently have 5 studios up and running and will open 2-3 more in 2021. In addition we have a crafts studio/wood workshop, basic pod/vlog/video/photography studio and a co-workingspace/conference room.
Our mission is to provide affordable project studios and at the same time create a vivid community on the island and amongst our visitors and artists. We are starting up the residency program during 2020.
RESIDENCYWe offer project studios and residencies with accommodation, both on invitation and open calls. The studios are between 5-70 sqm in some of them it is possible to sleep over in. Close by there are hostels and cabins for rent. BKN are in close collaboration with the cultural heritage society, a house with a restaurant style kitchen and seating for around 50 people indoors.
The small island, Björkö, is situated in the north part of Stockholm archipelago, in the municipallity of Norrtälje, Sweden. In the area there are several nature trails, national parks, lakes and offcourse the segment of the Baltic Ocean facing Åland >>>
COST OF STUDIO
If on AiR BKN residency there is a service fee 400 sek per month all artists need to be a member of the not for profit the 100 sek/calender year.
BKN are happy to provide document for grant applications in this case the fees are different.
PROD BKN possibillty to rent production studio for set and limited time.
- Studio 1, 25 sqm >>>
- Studio x 2 rooms and a storage space to be used separately or in combination with Studio 1 or 3
- Studio 3, 67 sqm >>>
- Studio 35, 76 sqm >>>
- Workshop, wood/crafts/metal/paintbrush cleaning area
- Galleriy "Vestibul" wallspace: ca 30-35 sqm
- Kitchen, shower, toilets and washing maschine, wifi some spaces ethernet
- Studio x >>> (opens 2021), 15 kvm
- Studio x >>> (opens 2021) 9 kvm + 2 kvm
- Bike kitchen BKN/Cykel kök BKN
- Studio 22, 37+5+15 (PROD BKN) sqm
- Studio 28, 63 sqm, Digitalstudio & co-working space
BKN is located in two 100 year old school buildings. They were in use until june 2017. In July 2020 BKN moved in to the premesis.
- Soccer field (small) can be converted into field for volleyball or badminton
- Basket ball court (2 baskets, asphalt)
- One shed where bikes are stored
- Lawn, cusping bedrock and forest
- Parking lot (gravel)
- Pre-school with separate yard (5 kids)
Floor plans of building to download (links from studio listing takes you to studio specific floorplan)
Up on arrival each artist will have a walk through of safty and security procedures.
Video on bilyana furnadzhieva work produced at AiR BKN. Music: Viktor Benev
- Wood/crafts workshop (limited tools),
- Digital studio/Co Working Space (also bookable for conference/office meetings)
- Ultra portable video kit (4k) (mini camera, lights, tripod, mic)
- Studiolights, backdrops (green, white/grey)
- Wifi/ethernet ports (fiber based broadband)
- Shared kitchen (2 stoves with ovens, 2 refrigerators/freezers, toaster, drinking glasses, pots and pans, plates, utencils etc)
- BKN works closely with the local community (people and gathering spaces)
- Cost of living presented in an index for students, with specification of various foods and activeties >>>
- Airports >>>
- Airport buss to Central Stockholm >>>
- Public transportation Buss ( ) >>>
From Central Station Stockholm to buss stop "Björkö-Arholma Skola"
Make sure to write as above (you will transfere buss in Norrtälje same station, from 676 to 636)
- Learn some Swedish >>>
- Nature trails (year around), in costal of forest areas, all over the island
- Fishing, swiming (lake/ocean), all over the island
- Local grocery store (also delivery point for pharmacy items ), 7 km or order food for delivery over internet
- Museum of seafarers (community), 3 km
- Kunsthalle (Norrtälje konsthall), 47 km
- For supplies (arts, crafts, constrction) one need to pre-order via internet)
- Boardmembers and the community are often at hand hence it is a self directed residency
- At times we have curated calls but ingenerla it is a self directed residency
- BKN curator Anna Viola Hallberg has her art studio at the premesis and Jesper Nyrén BKN boardmember has his studio in the area.
- Pod or video based presentations/studio visits /open studio are encouraged
- Link list, organisations/museums on Björkö (swe & en links) >>>
BKN PART OF RESARTIS
- Enable sustainability by providing tools for professional development
- Respect the regional, cultural and structural diversity of the arts residency field through adherence to our core values
- Actively engage with and be responsive to members’ needs and changes in the field
- Ensure transparency through clear communication with members, the cultural sector and wider public
- Connect and promote members through face to face meetings and the use of digital platforms
We are committed to continuous professional development and enhancement of knowledge and skills. We listen to each other and are responsive to artists’ needs and changes in the field.
We value regional, cultural and structural differences by respecting individuality.
We believe in the value of clear, accurate and proactive communication between Res Artis, our member organisations and visiting artists.
We strive to improve the resources available to enable the longevity of Res Artis, our members and the artist residency field.
BKN at ResArtis website >>>
. . .
Simpnäsvägen 739 SE-764 53 Björkö SWEDEN
curator @ bjorkokonstnod.se