Currently we are accepting applications
send e-mail to curator @ bjorkokonstnod.se
The main objective of BKN is to provide an opportunity to within the stay focus on work and experience life in the Northern Archipelago of Stockholm, where the sea meets the forest, fields, and lakes.
Our mission is to provide affordable project studios and at the same time create a vivid community on the island and amongst our visitors and artists. We are starting up the residency program during 2020.
RESIDENCY/PROJECT STUDIOSWe offer project studios and residencies with accommodation, both on invitation and open calls. The studios are between 5-70 sqm in some of them it is possible to sleep over in. Close by there are hostels and cabins for rent. BKN are in close collaboration with the cultural heritage society, a house with a restaurant style kitchen and seating for around 50 people indoors.
The small island, Björkö, is situated in the north part of Stockholm archipelago, in the municipallity of Norrtälje, Sweden. In the area there are several nature trails, national parks, lakes and offcourse the segment of the Baltic Ocean facing Åland >>>
Digital (fall of 2020)
- Ultra portable video kit (4k) (mini camera, lights, tripod, mic)
- Studiolights, backdrops (green, black grey)
- Wifi/ethernet ports
- Sewing maschines (electric and manual)
- Wood/crafts workshop
- Co Working Space (also bookable for conference/office meetings)
- Communal kitchen (2 stoves with ovens, 2 refrigerators/freezers, toaster, drinking glasses, pots and pans, plates, utencils etc)
- BKN works closely with the local community (people and gathering spaces)
In the area
- Nature trails (year around), in costal of forest areas, all over the island
- Fishing, swiming (lake/ocean), all over the island
- Grocery store (also delivery point for pharmacy items ), 6 km
- Museum of seafarers (community), 3 km
- Kunsthalle (Norrtälje), 15 km
Good to know
- Local transportation: takes you directly to the door of BKN
- For supplies (arts, crafts, constrction) one need to pre-order via internet, please contact BKN for shipping address)
- Boardmembers and the community are often at hand hence it is a self directed residency
- At times we have curated calls but ingenerla it is a self directed residency
- BKN curator Anna Viola Hallberg has her art studio at the premesis and Jesper Nyrén BKN boardmember has his studio in the area.
Join our newsletter and get calls email to: curator @ bjorkokonstnod.se
BKN is located inland but just minutes away from a bay of the Baltic Sea. Photograph taken from the bus stop.
3 km from BKN one meets the unbroken horizon at The Sea of Åland .
Download overview of floorplans to see studio layout!
Building to the left, entrence floor
Building to the left, upper floor
Building to the right, entrance floor
Become a member of the not for profit organisation >>>