WHERE THE SEA MEETS THE FOREST
The main objective of BKN is to provide an opportunity to, within the stay, focus on, the aristic practice and experience life in the Northern Archipelago of Stockholm - where the sea meets the forest, fields, and lakes - a peaceful rural milieu. Proposed project should relate to site-sensitve exploration, argue why the residency site is of interest or entail working with strands of various communities. Established in 2020, AiR BKN supports artists of diverse ages, backgrounds, and disciplines in the exploration and expansion of their creative practices and the production of new bodies of work. The program aims to foster the development of each artist’s voice, providing an environment that actively supports experimenting, taking risks, and pursuing new ideas. Providing the critical components of time, space, and community, the Program encourages significant creative, intellectual, and professional growth. Or house motto is "thinking together learning together".
During 2020-2022 we have offered more than 65 studio grants in addition we are constantly working towards finding complementary grants. We have had collaborations on directed residences with suport from Swedish Arts Grant Committee, Region Stockholm and SWAN. Some artists have come on grants that they arranged themselves.
- Our mission is to provide affordable project studios and at the same time create a vivid community on the island and amongst our visitors and artists. We are even exlploring the format of Fair Studios (at all times thing what could be made better for our artists).
- The not for profit Björkö Konstnod/BKN was established as a not-for- profit in 2020.
- To explore rural costal region in Sweden as site for contemporary art and photography.
- Education & exhibitions for professionals and local community.
- The residency is predominantly self directed with in the focus of the open call. We honor a helpful and socially inclusive policy. Our house policy is "Thinking together, learning together". BKN aims at being able in the future to provide a directed residency. AiR BKN directed calls have included "Out of Rock" and in 2022 "Nature Nurture"
- Artists participate in maintaining a well functioning workpace.
- Often artists meet up for meals prepaired jointly or separately. As artists arrive or leave there can also be occations due to transit where you are alone for a day or two.
- In total there are in total 7 studios (12-76 sqm) 3-4 of them are residency studios, the in addition to a crafts
studio/wood workshop, basic pod/vlog/video/photography also used as co-workingspace/conference room. Artists use the same kitchen and showers and is assigned a semi private toilet.
- Accomodation the artist rent cabin on the island or basic in studio arrangement.
- The small island, Björkö, is situated in the north part of Stockholm archipelago, in the municipallity of Norrtälje, Sweden. In the area there are several natural nature trails, national parks, lakes and the Åland Sea
- Björkö together with Arholma has less than 400 people living year around. July is the peak summer holliday season with lots of art and craft events as well as fleamarkets.
- You reach BKN by the larger Stockholm public transportation system. In the summer its also possible to get here by boat from Stockholm and then a buss on the island.
- Address: BJÖRKÖ KONSTNOD, Simpnäsvägen 739, SE-764 53 Björkö SWEDEN
- The island has primeval forests with freshwater lakes, secluded beaches and a quarry for granit (was in use 1907-1923/24)
COST OF STUDIO
- For 2020-2022 we provide a studio grant. Each artists pays a development fee of 400 sek and a member of the not for profit the 100 sek/calendar year. The studio grant is made possible with support from Leader Stockholmsbygd and The European fund for countryside development in close collaboration with the municipality of Norrtälje. The aim is to be able to continue this praxis post 2022.
- BKN is happy to provide document for grant application or travel support, please consider to do so in a timely manner. In some cases we can offer a stipend in addition to studio grant, the call will clearly state if this is the case.
- Studio 11, 25 sqm
- Studio 1, 2 rooms 20 sqm (can be joint to studio 1 or 3 if needed)
- Studio 3, 67 sqm
- Studio 35, 76 sqm
- Studio 5, 12 sqm
- Studio 15, 12 sqm
- Workshop, wood/crafts
- Loom (need to be assembled)
- Darkroom >>>
- Kitchen, shower, toilets and laundry room, wifi
- Studio 22, 20 sqm
- Studio 28, 63 sqm, presentations, workshops, digitalstudio & co-working space , Table tennis (pop up)
- Soccer field (small) can be converted into field for volleyball or badminton
- Basket ball court (junior, asphalt)
- One shed (not heated workspace)
- Lawn, cusping bedrock and forest
- Parking lot (gravel)
- Pre-school with separate yard ( @ 3-5 kids)
- BBQ/grill area
- Temporary sulpture park
- Summer gallery (July only)
Exhibitions & Performances:
The exhibition program at BKN goes by the name HYBRID. It is a transformative, dynamic space for art that engages with life and nature; a space for developing concepts of community and poetic investigations. HYBRID seeks to explore and interpret possibilities beyond the violence of algorithms, egoism, deforestation, narrowmindedness and repression. From its core HYBRID extends to sites indoors and outdoors on or off the island.
Other community organizations. Visiting artists have used them for recording, performances etc. See "other useful info".
Above pdf of floor plans of , names are not matching the listing above as they go under old names. Sqm and other meassures are acurate. All studios not marked.
Become an annual member of the not for profit organisation BKN >>>
Video on bilyana furnadzhieva work produced at AiR BKN. Music: Viktor Benev
AiR BKN studio 1-2 months (directed or self-directed)
PROD BKN studio over 2 months, in-house artist help out with running BKN.
- Wood/crafts workshop (limited tools)
- 2 Darkroom >>>
- 1 Loom @ 90 cm wide
- Studio 28 workshop space, presentations, photo/video studio etc
- Ultra portable video kit (4k mini camera, lights, tripod)
- Studio-lights (85 w fixed)
- Backdrops (green, grey)
- Pod-mic + mini transmitter/reciever (Rode)
- paper cutter (large) and cuttingcarpet
- A4 scanner, Epson V 600
- Laminator up to A3
- Color printer, Canon 300
- A4 printer (duplex)
- Wifi (fiber based broadband)
- Shared kitchen (2 stoves with ovens, 2 refrigerators/freezers, toaster, food processor, drinking glasses, mugs, pots and pans, plates, coffee maker, utensils, blender etc)
- BKN works closely with the local community (people and gathering spaces)
We are members of the following networks:
- Cost of living presented in an index for students, with specification of various foods and activities (2020, prices has gone up since) >>>
- Airports >>>
- Airport buss to Central Stockholm >>>
- Public transportation Bus ( ) >>>
From Central Station Stockholm to buss stop "Björkö-Arholma Skola"
Make sure to write as above (you will transfere buss in Norrtälje same station, from 676 to 636) Best is to download SL app (black layout).
- Learn some Swedish >>>
- Nature trails (year around), in costal and forest areas, all over the island
- Fishing, swiming (lake/ocean), all over the island (summer and winter)
- Public Sauna on island Arholma next to Björkö.
- Local grocery store, 7 km or order food for delivery over internet
- Museum of seafarers (community), 3 km
- Kunsthalle (Norrtälje konsthall), 47 km
- For supplies (arts, crafts, construction) one need to pre-order via internet, or go to Älmsta or Norrtälje)
- At times we have curated calls but in general it is self directed
- BKN curator Anna Viola Hallberg has her art studio at the premesis and Jesper Nyrén BKN boardmember has his studio in the area. Rolling schedule Stockholm based artists (PROD BKN)
- Link list, organisations/museums on Björkö (swe & en links) >>>
- Link list of art supply stores >>>
BKN PART OF RESARTIS
- Enable sustainability by providing tools for professional development
- Respect the regional, cultural and structural diversity of the arts residency field through adherence to our core values
- Actively engage with and be responsive to needs and changes
- Ensure transparency through clear communication, the cultural sector and wider public
- Connect and promote
BKN is committed to continuous professional development and enhancement of knowledge and skills. We listen to each other and are responsive to artists’ needs and changes in the field.
BKN actively work towards a diverse definition of the arts and welcome artists complying with a safe and inclusive work atmosphere.
We believe in the value of clear, accurate and proactive communication
We strive to improve the resources available and to map out a ways of limiting or ecological foot print.
You come to a safe space. Let us know if you are in need of any assistans or have questions. Depending on where on the premises the performances or studios are located or happen accessibility varies. Hence we are located on the country side we keep the indoors animal free.
Up on arrival each artist will have a walk through of safty and security procedures.
In light of the global COVID-19 developments, we are monitoring the situation and adapting our practices accordingly. We are dedicated to prioritizing the health and safety of our artists, visitor and staff. Short deadline might appear due to Covid travel restrictions/bans.
Swedish Governmental emergency info:/alerts >>>
Covid news flashes and other resoruces >>>
Prior to applying please update yourself on Swedish national Covid policies, and how they relate to policies of the country you are in. For more info contact your embassy in Stockholm.
. . .
BKN/Björkö Konstnod including artists and all visitors respects all national, regional or municipal Covid regulations.
The organization is not in a possition to refund membership/development fee nor to help the artist financially due to canceled flights, hotel etc or other incidents.
. . .
Visiting/delivery: Simpnäsvägen 739 SE-764 53 Björkö SWEDEN
curator @ bjorkokonstnod.se