Prior to applying please update yourself on Swedish national Covid policies >>>
BKN AiR, G studio 25 sqm, Nov 17 - Dec 19
BKN AiR, S studio 67 sqm, Nov 30 - Dec 19
If interested pleae write to curator @ bjorkokonstnod.se
include website, short bio and how you would like to use your stay
Become a member of the not for profit organisation >>>
The main objective of BKN is to provide an opportunity to, within the stay, focus on, the aristic practice and experience life in the Northern Archipelago of Stockholm - where the sea meets the forest, fields, and lakes.
Our mission is to provide affordable project studios and at the same time create a vivid community on the island and amongst our visitors and artists. We are starting up the residency program during 2020.
RESIDENCYWe offer project studios and residencies with accommodation, both on invitation and open calls. The studios are between 5-70 sqm in some of them it is possible to sleep over in. Close by there are hostels and cabins for rent. BKN are in close collaboration with the cultural heritage society, a house with a restaurant style kitchen and seating for around 50 people indoors.
FEES / COST OF LIVING
If on a BKN residency there is a service fee 400 sek per month all artists need to be a member of the not for profit the 100 sek/calender year.
BKN are happy to provide document for grant applications in this case the fees are different.
- Cost of living presented in an index for students, with specification of various foods and activeties >>>
- Airports >>>
- Airport buss to Central Stockholm >>>
- Public transportation Buss ( ) >>>
From Central Station Stockholm to buss stop "Björkö-Arholma Skola"
Make sure to write as above (you will transfere buss in Norrtälje same station, from 676 to 636)
- Learn some Swedish >>>
The small island, Björkö, is situated in the north part of Stockholm archipelago, in the municipallity of Norrtälje, Sweden. In the area there are several nature trails, national parks, lakes and offcourse the segment of the Baltic Ocean facing Åland >>>
Digital (fall of 2020)
- Ultra portable video kit (4k) (mini camera, lights, tripod, mic)
- Studiolights, backdrops (green, black grey)
- Wifi/ethernet ports (fiber based broadband)
- Wood/crafts workshop (limited tools)
- Co Working Space (also bookable for conference/office meetings)
- Communal kitchen (2 stoves with ovens, 2 refrigerators/freezers, toaster, drinking glasses, pots and pans, plates, utencils etc)
- BKN works closely with the local community (people and gathering spaces)
In the area
- Nature trails (year around), in costal of forest areas, all over the island
- Fishing, swiming (lake/ocean), all over the island
- Grocery store (also delivery point for pharmacy items ), 6 km
- Museum of seafarers (community), 3 km
- Kunsthalle (Norrtälje), 15 km
Good to know
- Local transportation: takes you directly to the door of BKN
- For supplies (arts, crafts, constrction) one need to pre-order via internet, please contact BKN for shipping address)
- Boardmembers and the community are often at hand hence it is a self directed residency
- At times we have curated calls but ingenerla it is a self directed residency
- BKN curator Anna Viola Hallberg has her art studio at the premesis and Jesper Nyrén BKN boardmember has his studio in the area.
Join our newsletter and get calls email to: curator @ bjorkokonstnod.se
New works on the theme of sun and moon by the residency artist
Bilyana Furnadzhieva. The moon is with chips of rock from Björkö and sun in gold leaf >>>
The Sea of Åland around the corner from BKN
BKN is located inland but just minutes away from a bay of the Baltic Sea. (Photograph taken from the bus stop.)
Download overview of floorplans to see studio layout!
Building to the left, entrence floor
Building to the left, upper floor
Building to the right, entrance floor
BKN comply with Res Artis Mission and Values
- Enable sustainability by providing tools for professional development
- Respect the regional, cultural and structural diversity of the arts residency field through adherence to our core values
- Actively engage with and be responsive to members’ needs and changes in the field
- Ensure transparency through clear communication with members, the cultural sector and wider public
- Connect and promote members through face to face meetings and the use of digital platforms
We are committed to continuous professional development and enhancement of knowledge and skills. We listen to each other and are responsive to artists’ needs and changes in the field.
We value regional, cultural and structural differences by respecting individuality.
We believe in the value of clear, accurate and proactive communication between Res Artis, our member organisations and visiting artists.
We strive to improve the resources available to enable the longevity of Res Artis, our members and the artist residency field.
BKN is an approved member of Res Artis: